With CalcEngine Plus, your end-users can define their own formulas and calculated expressions. Your products and applications can move to the next level of power and functionality, with very little extra developer effort.
The need for user-authored calculations comes up in a variety of scenarios. For example:
- “What-if” analysis where Excel is not appropriate but you want to give your users a way to carry out their own numeric modelling
- Hierarchies, where the value of a parent is some user-specified aggregate of its children
- A gating expression, to toggle functionality on and off according to conditions specified by your end-users
- Calculating different rates for special customers, using user-specified formulae for each customer
- Any time you don’t want to hard-code formulae in you app. You don’t necessarily have to expose a runtime calculation facility to end-users, you might just want to put calculation definitions in a database or a config file if you think they might change in future.
- Any time that requirements are not fully nailed down. You can put in best-guess or placeholder expressions, and put the onus on the client to get the calculations right after the application has shipped. Not only does this de-risk your project plan, but you look wonderful for giving the customer such a powerful and flexible facility.
We'd be keen to hear of other usage scenarios. Tell us about how you've used CalcEngine Plus!
Key benefits of CalcEnginePlus
- A simple and intuitive syntax for your users – no impenetrably dense syntax, or bizarre UI hoops to jump through
- Named variables (or “tags”) that come from your user’s existing systems.
- Support for nested expressions, aka named sub-expressions
- Special support for hierarchical structures
- Comprehensive suite of operators and built-in functions
- Fast - fast enough that every numeric entity in your app could be a calculation. What possibilities would that open up?
- Elegant extensibility mechanism, for developer-defined functions
- Exposes the structure of your expressions, for example to allow you to generate a graphical representation of your logic
- Simple installation and royalty-free deployment